How to make a tasty Garden salad dish
Remember that meal you took in a fancy hotel, or a buffet that had mouth-watering delicacies and a crisp, fresh, and delicious salad? This has happened to me, and I am left wondering how they make such mouth watering salads.
Today, let's delve into the interesting journey of preparing garden salad that will leave your taste buds tingling and your body nourished. Ideal for home meals, you can surprise your family members with it today!
Health benefits of Garden Salad
Before getting into the recipe, why would you need garden salad in your main course? Does it have any health benefits? It so happens that garden salad is not only a tasty treat, but is also packed with a trove of benefits:
1. Rich in Vitamins and Minerals: The mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, and bell pepper in the salad provide essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin A, potassium, and folate, contributing to overall health and immune support.
2. Low in Calories: This garden salad is naturally low in calories, making it an excellent choice for those looking to manage their calorie intake while enjoying a satisfying meal.
3. Dietary Fibre: The salad is a good source of dietary fibre, thanks to the vegetables and greens. Fibre supports digestive health, aids in regular bowel movements, and can help control hunger and manage weight.
4. Antioxidant-Rich: We surely do consume a lot of unhealthy stuff once in a while. Our bodies are full of radical-free elements that could negatively affect the normal functioning of the body, besides introducing chronic illnesses. Cherry tomatoes, red onion, and bell peppers are rich in antioxidants like lycopene, quercetin, and vitamin C. These antioxidants help combat free radicals, reduce inflammation, and may lower the risk of chronic diseases.
5. Weight Management: Consuming this salad before or with a meal can help control portion sizes, reduce overall calorie intake, and support weight management goals. That doesn't mean you should quit visiting the gym. There are other benefits associated with the gym, but garden salads will go a long way in supplementing your weight control and management.
For the Salad:
• Mixed greens (lettuce, spinach, arugula, or your choice)
• 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
• 1/2 cup cucumber, sliced
• 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
• 1/2 cup colored capsicum (red, yellow, or green), diced
• 1/4 cup sliced black olives (optional)
• 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
For the Dressing:
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
• 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Prepare the Dressing:
• In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, minced garlic, salt, and black pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed. Set the dressing aside.
Prepare the Vegetables:
• Wash and dry the mixed greens thoroughly. You can use a salad spinner or pat them dry with paper towels.
• Slice the cherry tomatoes in half.
• Slice the cucumber into rounds.
• Thinly slice the red onion.
• Dice the bell pepper into small pieces.
• If you're using black olives and feta cheese, prepare them as well.
Assemble the salad:
• In a large salad bowl, combine the mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, colored capsicum.
• Gently toss the salad ingredients together to mix them evenly.
Dress the salad:
• Drizzle the prepared dressing over the salad. Start with a portion of the dressing and add more as needed, depending on your taste.
• Use salad tongs or two large spoons to gently toss the salad, ensuring all the ingredients are coated with the dressing.
Add optional toppings:
• If you're using crumbled feta cheese, sprinkle it over the top of the salad just before serving. You can also add additional croutons for extra crunch.
• Transfer the garden salad to individual serving plates or bowls.
• Serve immediately as a refreshing and nutritious appetizer or side dish.
Learning how to prepare your garden salad is easy as you can see above. Getting fresh, healthy, and good ingredients for your salad can be challenging. That shouldn’t worry you anymore, since, at Farmers Best, we understand the importance of delivering farm-fresh produce to your table. That's why we're excited to deliver these ingredients to you. We are just a call away: 0743 162 357.
Tell us what you think of this recipe. Leave us a comment.